Our History

A story of community, heritage, and generations of care

Burkhart Cemetery is one of Newton County’s oldest burial grounds, located just east of Racine, Missouri. The earliest known tombstone belongs to John B. Powers, dated September 21, 1844, positioned near the center of what is now Section One. Early community members recall that many original stones were lost or damaged over time, with some moved to the north fence after vandalism in the early years.

Early Beginnings (1840s–1880s)

The cemetery began as the “Burkhart Burying Ground,” a family plot provided by George W. and Jane Burkhart for relatives and neighbors. The Burkharts arrived in Missouri in the early 1840s, settling in Shoal Creek Township with their children and extended family.

On October 8, 1881, George and Jane Burkhart formally sold the land to the cemetery trustees for twenty dollars, establishing the first official section of the cemetery. The original trustees were Granville Jones, J.E. Neece, and George W. Buzzard.

Growth Through Generations

As the community grew, so did the cemetery. Additional land was donated or sold by families connected to the Burkharts and Gilstraps:

1906: John Washington “Farmer John” Gilstrap sold Section Two (1 acre) for $35.

1938: Jasper and Minnie Gilstrap sold Section Three for $40.

1975–1987: Alex and Maudie White deeded Sections Four through Seven, often for one dollar, ensuring the cemetery could continue expanding for future generations.

These additions created the seven‑section layout still used today.

A Community‑Maintained Cemetery

For more than a century, Burkhart Cemetery was cared for entirely by local families.

Mowing & Maintenance

Before 1948, families cut grass around their loved ones’ graves by hand using scythes. Community members such as Clem Daniels, Mansford Gilstrap, and Troy Durbin mowed the cemetery annually for $60 using hand tools.

A mower was finally purchased in 1948 after volunteers canvassed the community for donations. Professional mowing began in 1985.

Grave Digging

From the 1840s through the 1950s, grave digging was a community effort. Men traveled from miles around — sometimes walking long distances — to help dig graves by hand. When the soil was too hard, they used dynamite, a common tool among miners in the area.

Work Buildings & Tools

The cemetery once had a small house on the property where funerals were occasionally held. It was sold and moved to Racine around 1930. A small tool building was then constructed, later replaced in 1954 with a cement‑block structure that still stands today, expanded in 1995 to include a covered meeting area.

Funding & Community Support

Throughout its history, Burkhart Cemetery has been maintained through the generosity of the families connected to it. In earlier years, families contributed 25–35 cents to help pay for mowing, repairs, and upkeep. This tradition of community support continues today, with many families now in their sixth generation of giving.

In 1982, the cemetery established what is now called the Long‑Term Care Fund. This fund was created from community donations to provide supplemental income for ongoing maintenance. The principal remains in federally insured accounts, and only the interest is used to support the cemetery’s care. Many families have contributed to this fund since its creation, helping it grow steadily over the years.

Incorporation & Governance

Burkhart Cemetery was incorporated in 1981, with bylaws defining membership, meetings, and the election of directors. The first official shareholder meeting was held on Memorial Day 1982, a tradition that continues annually.

Those Who Served

For nearly two centuries, countless volunteers, trustees, and directors have cared for Burkhart Cemetery. Their dedication and service have preserved this historic resting place for future generations.